Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Copy that (a very serious post)

As soon as I got home last Friday, my phone rang. It was Kenzie calling to see how the first day of school went.
"Not bad," I said. "Each student had to stand up in a big lecture room, introduce themselves, then say where they came from and why they were there. It was scary. Have you ever had to stand up in front of the class?"
"No," she said, "but today we had to sit in a circle and have a talk about peeing on the toilet seats."
I laughed. Not because the subject of peeing on toilet seats isn't a very serious matter, but because it was the honest and unexpected. And completely relatable in degrees of scariness, especially if you're the culprit of toilet seat urination.
"Why are you laughing?"
"I'm sorry. It is a very serious problem. I agree."
"Yeah. It's not funny, Courtney. It's not funny."

After our very serious conversation, I popped open a bottle of wine Dad had left in the fridge from move-in, turned on some mellow Shakira tunes and reflected on the seriousness of the first day of school. I'd been mentally preparing myself for this day for weeks, but I still got knots in my stomach before standing up to say my name. It's because I care so much about this, I'm afraid of screwing up. Fear is creativity's greatest enemy.

Kenz fears nothing. She's hard-wired to hold herself and her friends to high standards, but that does not limit the risks she'll take. She has internalized that there's more at stake in not trying something and missing out on a great experience than in trying something and maybe not succeeding in some form or another. As a marketing communications rookie, I need to adopt her neophytic wisdom. I'm here to take risks and to make kick-ass ads. I am Courtney White, and I am a copywriter.


EDIT: Somewhere between peeing on toilet seats and an affirmation to self, this post digressed into a Plath-ian Confessional. I'd down a bottle of Ambien and retreat under the house for this, but my apartment's concrete foundation stands in the way. Oh well.
Loyal readers, please bear with me while I learn how to blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment