Thursday, October 7, 2010

Today I called Kenzie and had a ten minute conversation with the cat.

This afternoon Kenz was dressing up her wooden angel dogs ("angels because they don't have buttons"), so I asked her why she wasn't dressing up Isis, the cat, too.
"She's sleeping."
"Oh, that makes sense," I said. "When she wakes up can you say 'hi' to her for me?"
"Would you like to talk to her now?"
"No, let her sleep. Tell me what you're up to?"
I heard rustling sounds over the receiver as Kenzie adjusted the phone up to the cat's furry face. Click. I was on speaker phone now.
"She's trying to get away from it, but speak, Isis, speak," Kenzie said.
There was a long beat of silence on the other line. Uh oh, I thought. What is she doing to the cat?
"Kenzie? I can call Isis back later. Are you there?"
"Meee-eee-eee-ew."
Isis is the kind of cat who's in every room but you'll never know unless she's hungry or really pissed off. In this case, she was not hungry.
"Mew to you too, Isis," I said. "Kenzie, how'd you get her to talk?"
"I don't know."
"What did she say?"
"Hello, hello, hello. And thank you for petting me."

Isis is not an angel cat, but she sure is a saint. And McKenzie knows how to push her buttons.


2 comments:

  1. Love the tone of this blog! So funny and inspirational. Keep up the good writing! (And I fully support friendly cat abuse. It's good for their egos to be knocked down a bit.)

    Grin!
    Gin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for not seeing this comment until now. Thanks, Gin! :)
    Isis usually stands up to McKenzie, or stands up and walks away, but lately she's become more selective in picking her battles. A cumulative six years' displacement by a little tyke will do that.
    i'll friend you on this site if i can figure out how. happy writing!
    <3 court

    ReplyDelete